Saturday, December 12, 2009

Snowy Skies

I changed up my mani again yesterday for a more wintry theme. I started with another Dollar Tree find - Maybelline Express Finish in Matte Blue:


This is 2 coats, no topcoat, under full spectrum lamp.
This was pretty enough, but I was really hoping to do a water marble over the top, to make it look like a pretty frosted glass ornament. I still wanted the base color to show through, so I was going to use it in the marbling. This is the point where I discovered that mattes (apparently) don't work for water marbling. (:P) I may try some more experiments, but for now, I'm still too much a n00b to make it work. I'm not going to show the epic FAIL, since I didn't take a pic of the one nail I attempted.
So, I went for the NK Sparkling Silver, which I got at a little local beauty supply shop:

I've never heard of this brand before, so naturally I had to try a bottle. :)
I didn't want to cover up the whole nail, since I wanted to retain the matte finish of the blue for contrast, so I just did a thin, uneven layer of sparkle from the cuticle down, using very little polish on the brush. I think it turned out okay, but it kinda  looks like a funky french, which wasn't the look I was going for. Still, not bad for a n00b with no nail art skills!


These two are under the full spectrum lamp.

This one's in a sunny window. Sorry, I'm not going outside for pics, cuz it's 19°F right now. Brrr.
I couldn't get the sparkle to show up very well on the nail. The bottle shows it much closer to reality - it's all silver square glitter, no black like some of it looks. Totally blingy and fun, with no topcoat required. It lays fairly smooth, and really sets off the matte finish of the blue.

Bonus pic, because I can:

Here's the inspiration for my screen name, all grown up. Yes, she is as sweet and soft as she looks. :)
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and feedback, so please share what's on your mind. For questions or requests, you can also use my Formspring.me in the sidebar. Thanks for reading!