Thursday, January 5, 2012

NotD: HOT Flakies!

Taken in lightbox
Taken in filtered winter sun
Last April, I saw this post on Alizarine Claws & Cammi, and knew that someday I would HAVE to try killing it with fire! (On a side note, I highly recommend their blog - they have some of the best swatches! ^_^) So, someday arrived this week! I used China Glaze Poinsettia for my red, because it's the hottest red jelly I own - seriously, folks, this one's HAWT (and beautiful and even well-behaved! lol).
Anyway, I used two coats of that, then started about 1/3 down the nail with Finger Paints Flashy and finished the tips with some Sally Hansen Hidden Treasure. I tried to capture the duochrominess of the flakies, but I couldn't manage the green. Trust me, though, these flakies go from orange to golden yellow to green as the light shifts. Gorgeous!! ♥♥♥
Right now, you're probably wondering why I used two different flakies. Here's why:

See that well-defined line of flakies? Yeah. Ugh. That's a single coat of Hidden Treasure, started at the same point on the nail. So, the more sparse Flashy worked perfectly to create the desired effect, but then I wanted a bit more flakie goodness at the tips and Hidden Treasure gave me the coverage I needed. Now, I could have done it the way Feline Flodin did, starting from the tips backwards with HT, but I'm difficult like that. :P
Having Hidden Treasure, I wasn't sure I needed Flashy, but now I'm glad I got it. I did skip Essie Shine of the Times, but if you don't have HT, that would definitely be a better substitute. If you don't own any flakie polishes at all, what are you waiting for! O_O Get thee to a Sally Beauty! (Flashy is one of 5 new Finger Paints flakie topcoats, and they're only $4.99 each with a Beauty Club Card. I highly recommend checking out Twisted!)

Disclosure: China Glaze Poinsettia was provided by China Glaze for promotional purposes. All other products mentioned in this post were purchased by me.

2 comments:

  1. This is so pretty!!! I'm SO GLAD that I was able to get 2 of the flakies!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nominated you for the Cute Blog Award. :D
    http://artevolve.blogspot.com/2012/01/cute-blog-award.html

    I only added my blog link to show you to the page where I nominated you.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and feedback, so please share what's on your mind. For questions or requests, you can also use my Formspring.me in the sidebar. Thanks for reading!