Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sapphire Moon

For today's look, I was inspired by haute couture - specifically the CND Ruffian nails for the NYFW. After seeing photos on a few blogs, like Polish Swatches, I just had to see if I could recreate the look, with my own twist! For more pics of the originals, check out: CND Fashion Week.
Maybelline Matte Sapphire. True navy satin matte with silver shimmer. This is 2 coats, plus one coat of China Glaze Matte Magic, to protect the polish and increase the matte factor. On its own, the Maybelline is a satin finish and more blue than this appears. Nice application, very forgiving for a matte polish.
I found this tape at Dollar Tree. I laid a strip of the silver on a piece of wax paper, and cut out crescent moons. I stuck the crescent moons into place, and voilĂ !
Here's the result still matte, but I knew the tape wouldn't last more than a day (probably no more than a hand washing, LOL), so after a few hours, I added a shiny topcoat:
Now, I know they're not perfect, but it looked MUCH better IRL. As many of you know, the macro setting shows every flaw and blemish, but they lose too much detail without it, so there ya go. Next time, I might cut the tape a little narrower, or maybe try a chrome polish for the effect. If I use the tape, I may reinforce the adhesive with some nail glue.
For anyone who's curious, that last pic is taken on my dog! She thought I was nuts! LOL Here's the look she gave me during the proceedings.
I liked it both matte and shiny, and couldn't stop staring at my nails. It was totally awesome! I loved the chrome shine, and it was so different from anything I've ever done or seen. What do you think? Matte, shiny, too amateurish?
Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. wow- neat! i'll be looking for some of that tape...............

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! You did a great job with the color selection and the mani itself. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I think it looks great! I wish I had gotten all those Maybelline Mattes when they were still available, but unfortunately I wasn't into polish then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I love my Maybelline Matte Sapphire.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and feedback, so please share what's on your mind. For questions or requests, you can also use my Formspring.me in the sidebar. Thanks for reading!